> Household Pest Control: Household Pest Control | Plants To Keep Ants Away

Household Pest Control | Plants To Keep Ants Away

In my on going battle to kill the ants invading my house, storage shed and property I began looking into natural means to help keep them away. Besides the normal routes of using ortho pest killers, ant bait systems, and the good old smack em with a shoe option, I decided to try some plants. I had done some research on the Internet and found that there are several types of plants to keep household pests like mice, ants, fleas, and ticks not only out of the yard but out of the house.

A couple examples of these types of plants are mints. Spearmint, Peppermint, Lemon Balm and many other common herbs are known to produce enough fragrance that they mask the scent trails left by ants. There are far too many plants that can aid in eliminating or deterring household pests from coming into the home too mention on this site but I have tried the ones listed above.

Some ideal places to plant these natural household pest controlling plants would be around the foundation of your home, landscaping around the storage shed, near entrances or windows to the home and anywhere else you have noticed ants or other household pests trying to enter your house. Since I have just planted these pest controlling plants, I can't say for sure that they work but they are far less expensive than using chemical products like Ortho ant control. I'm sure if they do work I'm sure I will not see the instant gratification I saw when spraying the pests with bug killers but I'm willing to give it a shot.

In addition to surrounding your property with these household pest controlling plants, I have heard you can even pick a few leaves and leave them in cupboards, closets, drawers and other areas pests might frequent. If you know of other natural ways of controlling household pests feel free to leave a comment and tell us about them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen many people say that strong smelling plants is the way to go to keep out ants, but I have doubt. I work part time at a plant nursery, and I don't do too much with mint, so I can't remember if I've seen any ants in those pots, but I have seen ants in scented geranium pots.

I'm extremely glad if it has worked for you, but I personally have doubts.